Log on. Find a Ride. Go.
Welcome to SmartRide, a Real-Time Rideshare pilot program in the Santa Barbara South Coast that helps you create on-the-fly or pre-scheduled carpools from your smartphone. Not only will you save money, time and reduce your carbon footprint, you can also earn some great rewards as you carpool. Drivers and riders can download the FREE “Avego” app for iPhone and Android or use your browser from any other smartphone. Here is how it works.
SmartRide provides a convenient and affordable way to share rides through a social network that connects riders and drivers both in real-time and in advance.
The pilot aims to:
- Increase the number of shared commute trips while reducing the parking demand
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Build a critical mass of users to continue ridesharing once local outreach wraps up in late 2013
How it works
To use the software you need a smartphone or any phone that will connect to the internet on the go. Just log on, type in where you are going from and to and the system will show you a list of riders and drivers looking to share rides along that route right now or for a point in the future. The app tracks the distance of shared trips and electronically transfers a micropayment from rider to driver to offset the cost of driving. If you’re sharing with a friend or family member, there’s also a free ride option built in for you! To facilitate rideshare community-building, we ask everyone to upload a profile picture, write a quick sentence about them and their commute on their profile and drivers and riders to rate each other after each trip.
The smartphone app is free to download. All new users receive $20 in credit to try the system as riders. Additionally, SmartRide will be adding money to rider’s accounts for the first few months of the pilot, so riders can ride for free. Riders are charged $1 for the first mile of the shared trip then 20 cents per mile for the next 15 miles. Thereafter, the cost drops to 8 cents per mile. These micropayments from the rider to driver are transferred electronically. The driver also has the option of providing the rider a free ride in the app.
3. Be sure to add your commute schedules AND a great photo of yourself in your profile.
4. Like SmartRide on Facebook (to keep up to date with your SmartRide rideshare community!)
5. Refer your friends who live, learn, or work in Santa Barbara County and you’ll earn referral bonuses!